How students dress affects the total learning environment. Therefore, student dress and grooming must be clean, neat, modest, and appropriate at all times. Students represent our school when they wear the uniform; they should strive to look and act their best. Beginning with the first day of school, and except on days specially designated by the Principal, students from kindergarten through 8th grade must wear the required uniform (preschool is not required to wear a uniform). All items can be purchased from DENNIS Uniform.
Dennis Uniform Information:
National Customer Service: 800-854-6951
Store Location: 7055 West Higgins Avenue, Chicago, IL 60656
Store Phone Number: 708-669-7944
Students in violation of dress code policy will be subject to consequences, including but not limited to being required to call home for a change of clothing before being re-admitted to classes, being required to change into clothing provided from used uniform stock, or being sent home for the day. Multiple offenses may result in disciplinary action and revoking of casual day privileges. St. Catherine Labouré School reserves the right to determine what is deemed appropriate attire and what is considered a violation of the dress code.
Preschool students should wear comfortable play clothes that they can get dirty and can handle independently when using the bathroom. Velcro or slip-on shoes are highly preferred. Please send one full outfit of clothes (including underwear and socks) in a bag labeled with the student’s name to leave at school in case of accidents or spills.
DRESS UNIFORM: Dress Uniform should be worn on days we attend mass. If a student has gym on a day we attend mass, they must come to school in Dress Uniform and bring their Gym Uniform to change into. Kindergarten students should bring one full outfit of clothes (including underwear and socks) in a bag labeled with the student’s name to leave at school in case of accidents or spills.
- Red polo with monogrammed school emblem (short or long sleeve)
- Plain, navy blue cardigan or plain, hoodless, navy zip-front fleece jacket with or without the SCL emblem (no hoodies or logos)
- Navy blue dress pants. Navy blue pants should have a waistband, pockets, a zipper and not be form-fitting. No jeans, or ripped or stained pants.
- (Girls only) Jumper, skirt, or skort/culotte in Hamilton Plaid – no more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Navy blue or black leggings may be worn under a uniform skirt. Leggings, yoga pants, or similar type of garment may not be worn without a uniform skirt
- Athletic shoes
- Navy blue or white socks (must cover the ankle)
- Navy blue tights for girls
- In the winter months with snow, boots may be worn outside, but must be stored inside. Athletic shoes must be brought and changed into to wear in the classroom and hallways.
INFORMAL SCHOOL UNIFORM: On days we do not attend mass, the Informal School Uniform may be worn in addition to the Dress Uniform.
- Dennis navy blue walking shorts may be worn during appropriate weather (above 70oF)
- SCL emblem navy sweatshirt
- SCL Spirit Wear
- SCL School Athletic Team Apparel (sweatshirts or long sleeves only – not the team uniform)
GYM UNIFORM: The Gym Uniform is to be worn to school on gym class days only. If a student has gym on a day we attend mass, they must come to school in Dress Uniform and bring their Gym Uniform to change into.
- Red gym t-shirt with SCL emblem
- SCL emblem sweatshirt
- SCL Spirit Wear
- SCL School Athletic Team Apparel (sweatshirts, long sleeves tees, or t-shirts – not the team uniform)
- Navy athletic shorts with SCL emblem during appropriate weather (above 70oF)
- Navy sweatpants with SCL emblem
- White athletic socks (must cover the ankle)
- Athletic shoes with non-marking soles
ADDITIONAL DAILY GUIDELINES
- Uniforms should be neat and presentable. No holes, stains, or faded logos.
- Shirts must be tucked in.
- Dress Uniform must be worn on days we attend mass. If a student has gym on a day we attend mass, they must wear the Dress Uniform and bring their gym uniform to change into.
- Skirts, skorts, and jumpers may not be more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Girls may wear small, plain earrings only. Earrings on boys are not permitted.
- Jewelry should not be worn on gym days.
- Make up is not to be worn. Those wearing it will be required to remove it.
- Nail polish is not encouraged, but sheer or translucent light colors are acceptable.
- Extreme hairstyles and hair color for boys or girls will not be allowed. Hair should be neat and clean. For boys, hair length must be above the top of the ear, above the top of the eyebrows and not touching the collar.
- St. Catherine Labouré School adheres to Illinois Public Act 102-0360, known as the Jett Hawkins Law, which prohibits discriminating against hairstyles historically associated with race, ethnicity, or hair texture, including, but not limited to, protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists.
- Fashion boots (such as Uggs) are not allowed. Winter boots are not allowed to be worn during the school day. Students may wear winter boots to and from school and for recess, but they must change into the required footwear for the school day.
- St. Catherine Labouré School reserves the right to determine what is deemed appropriate attire and what is considered a violation of the dress code.
CASUAL DAY PASSES
As a reward for Parish or school service, conduct, or deadline achievement, Casual Day passes may be handed out. This permits a student to be out of uniform and in presentable jeans and gym shoes, according to the Casual Day Dress Code. The pass is good for only one use on any Tuesday, and expires one month after the date of issue. If a class has a special liturgical responsibility on a Tuesday, we ask that the pass not be used and instead your student dress in Dress Uniform.
CASUAL DAY DRESS CODE
On days approved by the Principal, Casual Dress may be worn. Students must still be clean, neat, modest, and appropriate. St. Catherine Labouré School reserves the right to determine what is deemed appropriate attire and what is considered a violation of the dress code. The Casual Day Dress Code includes:
- SCL Spirit Wear or SCL School Athletic Team Apparel (sweatshirts, long sleeves tees, or t-shirts – not the team uniform);
- school appropriate polos, t-shirts, or long sleeve shirts;
- pants, slacks, or jeans;
- SCL emblem gym shorts, bermuda shorts (or short trousers), or capris may be worn on warm weather days (no other shorts are permitted);
- dresses and skirts – no more than 3 inches above the knee;
- leggings, yoga pants, or similar type garment must be worn under skirt or dress with the length that provides proper coverage (leggings cannot be worn with just a shirt on top);
- closed toe shoes.
The following items are not permissible for any student:
- dirty, torn, stained, patched, faded, or cut-off clothing;
- clothing with offensive messages;
- bare midriffs or shoulders, including shoulder cut-outs in garment;
- tank tops;
- hats, caps, or sunglasses indoors;
- backless shoes, flip flops, or slippers;
- bare feet;
- leggings, yoga pants, or similar type garment without a skirt or dress
- skirt or dress without the length that provides proper coverage;
- or any items that are construed to be strange or inappropriate.